July 26, 2010

A day I will never forget!  At about 2:00 in the morning, I got up to go to the bathroom...which was normal for my prego days.  Not normal, however, was the fact that MY WATER BROKE.  I was immediately excited and nervous at the same time.  I woke Adam up to ask him if he was ready to have a baby.  The look in his face was a little more nervous than anything.  I decided to get a shower and see how things progressed a little before rushing to the hospital.  At about 4:00 AM, I called Mindy and texted Michelle (she was on vacation, bless her heart).  My contractions were coming about every 3-4 minutes, but were not very strong yet.  We decided, however, to play it safe and head to the hospital.  We got to the hospital at about 5:00 AM. 
We got all settled in our room and met our nurse (our first nurse), Michelle, who was AWESOME!  I was so sad to see her leave 12 hours later.  Everyone kept asking me about pain medication, but I was still unsure if I wanted pain medication.  I was particularly afraid of having an epidural.  So I waited it out.  At about 8:00, I heard the nurse telling our "fan club" outside our door that they should go get something to eat because "we probably won't be having this baby until tonight".  My thought....  "TONIGHT???" It's only 8:00 in the morning!  My response, "Ok, I'll take some pain meds now."  I was still unsure about the epidural, so they gave me a pill (I can't remember the name of it now) that made me really drowsy.  By 12:00, my contractions were very painful but still only about 3 minutes apart.  One of the nurses came in at about this time and wrote a little message on the dry erase board that said...Welcome Addison Leigh, July      2010.  Yes, she left the date blank.  My response, "Come on now!"  She said, "I don't want to jinx you".  Shortly after, I said, "OK, I'll take an epidural now."  HA!
So, I will spare you all the details, because, believe me...you don't want to know them.  To make a long story short....I got the epidural, it did not work.  They had to use a different medication in the epidural which then worked.  However, eventually it ran out so they had to give me a "boost".  They gave me a "boost" of the medicine that they first gave me, which again did not work, so they had to give me another "boost" of the other medicication, which worked. 
I finally made it to 9cm, but started going back down to 8, so they decided I needed to start pushing at 9cm.  Well, thanks to the epidural, that was no problem.  Then we discover that little miss priss had her head sideways, making delivery difficult so they decided to give me pitosin to make my contractions more frequent.  The pitosin was gradually increased until finally they had cranked it up as high as it could go.  Then, almost as quickly as the pitosin was cranked up, my epidural ran out.  Oh the joys!  All I can say is, poor Adam! 
After about an hour and a half of pushing, my body couldn't take it anymore.  The pain was too unbearable.  The nurse called the anesthesiologist who gave her orders to give me another boost for my epidural.  And guess what, again, for the 3rd time, they gave me a boost of the medicine that did not work for me.  Thankfully, after another 20 minutes or so, the anesthesiologist came down and gave me a spinal block which allowed me to finally deliver our sweet little baby!  So, after all the drama, our little angel was born at 10:07 pm on July 26, 2010.  She weighed 7 lbs, 15 oz and measured 19.5 inches long.  And just incase you were wondering, it was TOTALLY worth it!  Here are a few pictures taken at the hospital...

Sleepy little baby:

Adam wrapped in a blanket...I had him turn the thermostat way down and I brought my fan from home which was on full blast.  Adam swore it was 30 degrees in there.  It felt more like 95 to me!  All the nurses had to put their jackets on when they came in.  Sorry guys! 

Our happy little family:

So precious:

The dry erase board (my inspiration for an epidural):

It sure didn't take her long to have her daddy wrapped around her little finger!:

Comments

  1. Casey, I'm so glad you got the computer back. I've been waiting to see Addison's birthday blog. Thanks for indulging me yesterday with my 2 hour Addison "fix". Love you, Jane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Addison's first babysitters

Look Who's One!